3.3.10

Katzenjammers

photo.jpgAs a wintry blizzard descended on Borough I headed down the stairs into Katzenjammers. To date my reference for Bier Kellers has been through the likes of the Bavarian Beerhouse on City Road which while a great night out has the feel of a theme night with traditional headgear for sale and Jagermeister shots touted round the tables.I found Captain English already well into a Paulaner Original Munchner Dunkel (5.0%), a dark rich starter and finding amusement in the precison of the reserved sign on a nearby table: "this table is reserved from 5.46". Not to be accused of simply copying, which seems often to be the case, I opted for the Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier (5.5%), a step above the Weissbier that seems to be the latest trend. Having a barmaid on hand just as you drain the last drops certainly goes some way to ensure that the beer flows and inevitably thoughts turn to food. Having been on a near vegetarian diet for a number of weeks the baked Pretzel with sea salt while satisfying just wasn't enough. Looking at the menu I could have easily sat for an hour salavating but in the interests of efficiency I opt for the sauerkraut, sausage and frites. Perefct to soak up the beer servings are well sized while not belt or wallet busting.

By 10pm a quick after work drink has turned into more of a mission of beer and sauerkraut. Debating whether to have another pint is futile and there reaches a point when a Cats Misery is inevitable. Yes you read correctly, Cats Misery. The literal translation of, yes you guessed correctly: Katzenjammers. Captain English (a former resident) tells me that this is in fact the German term for a hangover. The choice of name and the reserved sign leads me to think that I may have just witnessed an example of Germanic wit. The only question remaining as I make my way to street level is how miserable the cat will be in the morning.

No comments: